Well, people have been asking me how my labor and delivery went. I wish I was able to say it went fine and wouldn't write a post about it. Since I can't say it went as I had planned, I figured I might as well summarize it the best I can. Here goes...
On Thursday, the day before I had Emmalyn, I was 3cm, 80% effaced, and her head was low (station 0). At my appointment that day my doctor stripped my membranes, since she was going to be working at the hospital the next day. So, Thursday I decided to walk halfway across Arizona to get my contractions to be closer and more regular. Actually, I walked about 4 miles that afternoon, but it felt like a lot more.
We went into the hospital around 11pm and I was still at about a 3 1/2. So guess what they had me and Matt do - you guessed it - they had us walk around the hospital for about an hour (12:40-1:40am) to see if I would progress and if so they would keep me. I was a 4 1/2 when I came back so they kept me. We got to the room around 2am, and the nurse (we were pretty sure she was new) tried 2 times to get my IV in and couldn't! She finally called another nurse in to do it. Around 4am, she started me on pitocin to give me a little help with regulating my contractions. Around 6:15am I started asking for an epidural. I knew that I was in the same amount of pain as when I got an epidural with Shaylin. The nurse said I had to wait until my contractions were more regular before they would give me the epidural. I asked when she would check me again, since she had only checked me once and that was at 4am. She said that she probably wouldn't check me and would have the nurse coming in at 7:00am for the next shift check. So around 7am I told her I was feeling a lot of pressure and FINALLY she agreed to check me. She said I was a 5,6, maybe 7. By this time I REALLY needed an epidural. I kept asking for one, Matt kept pushing the call button to tell them I needed one...it was awful. They kept telling us the anesthesiologist was on her way. So the new shift comes in. While they all stood there right next to me relaying the information to the new shift...I'm telling them I NEED an epidural. Now, they tell me I had to have a full bag of water (IV) in me before I could get the epidural. My goodness! So I'm sitting there wondering why they didn't give me the IV 45 minutes ago when I FIRST asked for the epidural! The nurse said, well you are doing really well with your contractions, just keep breathing through them. She's trying to tell me that just because I wasn't screaming that they didn't hurt. So, the nurses leave, and it's just me, Matt, and my mom. I felt like I had to push and was trying to hold the baby in since there were no nurses or doctors in the room. (For those of you who have given birth you know that it's pretty much impossible to stop pushing when your body is trying to push the baby out.) My mom runs out to get the nurses. The nurse asks me if I want an epidural or if I want to be checked. Well...I wanted the epidural FOREVER ago, so I asked her to just check me. I'm 10 cm and the baby's head was right there! I told her that I have to push and can't hold in much longer and she says don't push because I don't want to have to deliver your baby. They call for the doctor and she runs in, and throws on her delivery clothes to get ready. Two contractions later and about 4 pushes, the baby is out (less than 5 minutes). My doctor was saying wow, you did awesome...did you want to do it natural? Ummmm..... NO!!!
In the end, I think my recovery was a lot easier and I only had a small tear. It was the worst feeling when I realized that I was not going to get an epidural and I had to give birth naturally. I think that if I had planned to do it naturally and was mentally ready for it, I wouldn't have had this awful experience. In a way it is nice to know that I was able to do it naturally, because I thought there was no way in the world I would ever be able to do that. My experience with my delivery with Shaylin was the total opposite and at the same hospital. Of course the fact that the outcome of the whole ordeal was our beautiful baby girl Emmalyn made all the pain I had to go through worth it.
My only advice to all you women is try to not have your baby while your nurses are in the middle of changing shifts...
5 comments:
Wow Jayna! You are a trooper. I probably would have totally lost my cool in your shoes. She really is beautiful! Rob, Rylend, and I are happy for you guys and look forward to meeting her. I hope you're recovering well :)
I am proud of you. I have had all my kids natural..and I totally aggree it would be easier if you had mentally planned on it. With that said, just let this experience remind you how strong you really are. I am happy that you have a beautiful baby and hope that your next birth goes more like you plan.
HOLY CRAP!!! I cant believe they didnt give you an epidural! Where did you deliver? My nurse let me get my epidural at like 2 or 3 cm and I hadnt really felt a contraction...only tightening. I would have been one of those psycho irate women who would be screaming down the hallway for a FREAKIN EPIDURAL!! haha. You are much nicer than me I am sure. But way to go. I guess you are a REAL woman now. Not like us other sissy girls who scream for the meds 5 minutes into it. lol. I want to come visit you once she gets a little older...I dont want to bring germs. Hope you are feeling well.
I don't know you... but I am a labor and delivery nurse and you delivered at my hospital (I saw the name of the nurse on the whiteboard) and I actually called in sick the night/morning you delivered... if I was there I am sure I would have gotten you your epidural! Congratulations
YAY! I am so proud of you for doing it naturally. You are a strong woman! It was the best thing I ever did. The recovery was so much easier! Your girls are so beautiful, maybe one of these days I can meet them in person!
Post a Comment